Fire Breaks Out at Sydney Airport

Last week, Sydney Airport, (SYD/YSSY) the gateway to New South Wales, had to be evacuated, after a small battery fire broke out in Terminal 1, Sydney Airport’s international terminal. While the fire began at 2.15pm, aviation firefighters from Air Services Australia extinguished the flames soon after. A spokesman for Air Services Australia told that the fire sparked an evacuation of passengers around the security screening area. The fire was caused by a passenger’s Lithium Polymer battery that was used at a recent robotics conference in Sydney. As the passenger was passing through security with the robot, a member of the Australian Border Security staff asked him to remove a battery, and as he did, caused a small explosion and consequent fire. Tara Moroney, a radio producer traveling to London on a Qantas flight via Singapore stated: “Firefighters and police continued to push people back, [however] no one already inside the terminal was evacuated. Shops were closed; no one was allowed to shop for about 30 minutes.” “A security guard I spoke to said a battery had dropped and sparked a fire,” she explained. Smoke started filling the terminal at around 2.30pm. Sydney Airport stated in response to the fire: “Processing has recommenced at T1 International after an issue with a battery caused smoke at Departures. Thanks for your patience.” The two major Australian international carriers, Qantas and Virgin Australia stated that passengers would be processed as quickly as possible, with no major delays to flights. A spokesperson from Jetstar, a subsidiary of Qantas, has stated that no flights had been delayed due to the incident. 


Welcome to crewroom

The Most Trusted Name In Aviation

Crewroom Magazine has affiliate partnerships so we may receive compensation for some links to products and services

Copyright Crewroom © 2017

Part of the CIBM Solutions Inc. Aviation News.
Powered by
Crewroom Magazine

Contact Us          Terms & Conditions          Privacy Policy